Yorkshire-based bakery Jacksons is investing £40m in a second factory to supply bread for sandwich manufacturers.The business, which says it already makes 70% of the bread used in UK prepared sandwiches, is part of the William Jackson Food Group that also owns Aunt Bessie’s, Abel & Cole, MyFresh and The Food Doctor.Jacksons already has planning permission for the facility, which will be built on a 10-acre site on the Willowbrook East Industrial Estate in Corby, which was purchased by the business in February this year.Describing the factory as a ‘state-of-the-art bakery’ that would initially create around 100 new jobs, Jacksons said it had been designed specifically to make bread for sandwich manufacturers. Work on the factory has already started and it is set to be fully operational by summer 2018.The business will continue to produce its branded bread – Jackson’s Yorkshire’s Champion – from its site in Hull, which opened in 1907. Sold in supermarkets, sales of the brand have grown in value every year since 2012 – bucking declines in the overall UK wrapped bread category.“The new bakery will help us grow as a business and allow us to build on the work we do in Hull,” said Jacksons MD Simon Ball.“We have a brilliant team working on the expansion project, and there’s a real buzz of excitement right across our business as we have the opportunity to create something really special, which will be at the forefront of bread-making in the UK.”William Jackson Food Group chief executive Norman Soutar added that the group and its family shareholders have invested significantly in the Hull bakery over recent years, and continue to invest in the Hull site.“We take a long-term approach to the individual businesses in the group, allowing them time to grow and develop and we’re very much looking forward to seeing how the next chapter of the bakery’s life unfolds,” he said.
Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Stock Image.JAMESTOWN – The City of Jamestown will be extending its State of Emergency for another 30-days starting Saturday at 9 a.m.Mayor Eddie Sundquist made the announcement Friday afternoon.Sundquist says that City Hall remains closed to the public, public garages will remain closed and there will be no downtown parking enforcement through at least May 31.Although, monthly alternate parking regulations are still in effect. Playgrounds and basketball courts also remain closed, officials said.
Northstar Vermont Yankee,US Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) learned today that the U.S. Department of Justice has no plans to intervene in a legal fight over the fate of the Vermont Yankee nuclear reactor at this time. Sanders had urged Attorney General Eric Holder to stay out of a lawsuit filed in federal court in Vermont by Entergy Corp. The plant owner sued after the Vermont Senate last year voted 26-to-4 not to renew a state license for the 40-year-old, problem-plagued reactor. ‘While I recognize that it is the responsibility of the Department of Justice to monitor developments in all ongoing litigation, I am pleased that they have no plans to intervene and I am confident that the Department will see no reason to intervene in the future,’ Sanders said. ‘I want to thank Sen. Harry Reid for his strong support for the state of Vermont,’ Sanders added. ‘The Majority Leader is clearly in our corner on this issue and he has agreed to do everything he can to help me in this effort.’ Sanders is a member of the U.S. Senate committee that oversees the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission. He criticized the NRC earlier this month after learning that commissioners secretly voted 3 to 2 to urge the Department of Justice to intervene in the Vermont case. The senator also spoke with the attorney general and other top officials at the Justice Department. ‘If Vermont chooses an energy future that does not include a 40-year-old, problem-ridden nuclear power plant and that emphasizes energy efficiency and sustainable energy, it is certainly our right and the federal government has no role to play in that decision,’ Sanders said.WASHINGTON, June 30, 2011 ‘ US Senator Bernie Sanders
By Lorena Baires / Diálogo June 26, 2019 U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) led and sponsored the combined exercise Humanitarian Allied Forces 2019 (FAHUM, in Spanish), which was conducted May 6-17 in the Dominican Republic. The event gathered Humanitarian Rescue Units (UHR, in Spanish) from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Peru, and the United States to reinforce civil-military emergency and disaster response mechanisms through simulations. “We are committed to improving and strengthening regional civil-military cooperation to respond to potential disaster scenarios,” said U.S. Army Brigadier General Irene Zoppi, SOUTHCOM representative and director of the Army Reserve Engagement Cell of U.S. Army South. “This commitment cannot stop; we must capture these experiences and turn them into normal educational and training procedures, applying them in the challenging situations that disasters will pose in the future.” The exercises projected capabilities to execute rapid response operations in a multidisciplinary and international environment with SOUTHCOM. “With the operations conducted onsite, they reviewed plans, protocols, procedures, and regional mechanism for cooperation and coordination,” said Army Lieutenant General Rubén Darío Paulino, Dominican minister of Defense. “We provide an efficient response, share information, and assign tasks and roles based on capabilities in each situation.” SOUTHCOM sponsors and organizes the exercise every year to update evacuation, rescue, and aid distribution procedures carried out through the military. “FAHUM embodies the solidarity among partner nations and citizens in natural disaster matters, to be prepared when reality exceeds our capabilities,” said Dominican Army Brigadier General Santo Domingo Guerrero, head of Planning and Operations for the Ministry of Defense’s Joint Chiefs of Staff. Capitalizing on experiences FAHUM 2019 focused on disasters such as hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, and large-scale earthquakes. The simulations were conducted at the Yuna River, Duarte province, and at Villa Escondida, home to the Dominican Republic Army 1st Infantry Brigade. Simulated floods and earthquakes helped evaluate mechanisms for mass casualty classification, victim care in shelters, aid reception, medical response capabilities, and transport procedures to hospitals. “Communication was lost for a while; this forced operational centers to seek alternative ways to communicate, get messages to communities, and assist the population,” said José Figueroa, FAHUM 2019 coordinator for SOUTHCOM. “So we evaluated procedures for search, rescue, evacuation, medical service, coordination, and verification of international humanitarian assistance.” Teams specialized in armed forces and civil organizations’ emergency response evaluated the results of the simulations. Upon conclusion of the exercise, the teams submitted a report detailing successful experiences and opportunities for improvement to increase regional operational capabilities. “It’s important that the population is involved to overcome the fear about these disasters; the best way is to learn to respond effectively,” said Army Brigadier General Juan Manuel Méndez, head of the Dominican Republic Emergency Operations Center. Disasters without borders FAHUM improves and strengthens civil-military hemispheric and regional cooperation to respond to different disaster situations. However, the challenges never end, and an emergency situation might involve more than one country. “We must inspire our communities to be ready through prevention, environment self-management, and knowledge of geographical location and associated risks, because a disaster has no borders; it can impact not only a country, but also an entire region,” Brig. Gen. Zoppi concluded. “This requires an effective response for the whole affected region, and it will only be efficient if planning and training are done in advance.”
6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr It’s easy to lose sight of what you’re working toward in today’s culture. Our days are busier than ever – there never seems to be enough hours to accomplish what we want – and technology, while helpful in most circumstances, has also created a lot of distractions.SmartBrief’s leadership and management senior editor James daSilva writes about asking yourself “What is it for?” in your daily work, big picture thinking and when communicating with others to make sure you’re working effectively and with a purpose.Here are some things to consider in each of daSilva’s circumstances to make sure you’re staying focused.Daily tasks. As things unexpectedly arise, it’s easy to have the mindset of solving it as quickly and easily as possible. Take the time to think about the cause and solution, otherwise you’ll likely face a similar problem in the future. continue reading »
Fifteen of these candidates won eitheras mayors or members of the Sangguniang Bayan in Iloilo and Capiz, said Batara. ILOILO City – Thirty-two elected localofficials in Western Visayas enjoyed the support of the New People’s Army (NPA)in the May midterm elections, according to the Police Regional Office 6(PRO-6). Are these officials now paying the rebels back with support, too? During elections, NPA rebels are knownto impose “permit to campaign fees” on candidates intending to enterrebel-influenced areas. Malong acknowledged it would bedifficult to prove that these local officials are now paying the insurgentsback with monetary or logistical support unless witnesses surface. Of these 32 officials, 11 were electedmayor and six were elected vice mayor, she added. In the months leading to the Maypolls, certain candidates were “consistently monitored to be giving support tothe NPA, including some candidates who gave in on the rebels’ ‘permit to win’and ‘permit to campaign’ (fees),” Batara said. The rebels campaigned for them, saidPRO-6 spokesperson Police Lieutenant Joem Malong, citing intelligence reports. Furthermore, Batara said, localgovernment units (LGUs), particularly the local chief executives, shouldspearhead efforts to end the insurgency problem. “We are monitoring them,” she said. The same law further criminalizes thefinancing of terrorism. In particular, it freezes and forfeits the property orfunds of those designated terrorists or terrorist organizations. This is donein order to prevent and suppress terrorist activities. “If we have gathered enough concreteevidence, appropriate charges would be filed against them,” including forterrorism, Batara said. Under Republic Act (RA) 10168,terrorism is considered inimical and dangerous to the country’s nationalsecurity. Terrorism is, thus, condemned, including those who support andfinance acts of terrorism. The figures of the PRO-6 were not farfrom those of the Philippine Army. In Iloilo province, the rebelssupported five mayors, two vice mayors and nine municipal councilors while inCapiz, they campaigned for four mayors, two vice mayors and three towncouncilors, said Malong. The 61st Infantry Battalion (61IB)monitored 37 candidates who financially supported the NPA, according toLieutenant Colonel Joel Benedict Batara, battalion commander. In Negros Occidental, two electedmayors, two vice mayors, two municipal councilors, and a provincial boardmember enjoyed the backing of the NPA, said Malong. “We are warning these local officialsto stop supporting rebels,” said Malong. “We need physical evidence to pin themdown,” said Malong. Local officials proven to besupportive of rebels face criminal and administrative charges. “We have identified them,” accordingto the PRO-6 spokesperson but she declined to name them. Under Section 4 of RA 10168, personsfound guilty of terrorist financing “shall suffer the penalty of reclusiontemporal in its maximum period to reclusion perpetua”and be made to pay a fine of not less than P500,000 nor more than P1 million. The United States and European Unionhave labeled the NPA and its political body, the Communist Party of thePhilippines, as an international terror organization. (With areport from the Philippine News Agency/PN)
The Lady Bulldogs opened the 2018 season in commanding fashion handling the raiders in minimal sets and closing the dog pound early.JV had the early start @ 5:30, and showed signs of their youth and first game jitters. There were 8 serving error on our side in the first 15 point of the set. Cooler heads prevailed down the line as things calmed down and the home crowd settled in. Nikki Fox #23 settled in for 6 aces of her own while Kerrigan Haskamp #19 racked up 4 kills. End result was JV Dogs in two by 25-15 & 25-13.In the Varsity match the same scenario unfolded. First game jitters saw us give up 15 unforced errors to South Ripley’s only two earned points. In set two we narrowed our error margin down to 10 given and in set three only gave 8 away. For first game and allot of new varsity players this year, the home opener is a good win. We had a very well rounded offense with multiple platers getting kills and Aces. Macy Prickel #5 and Abigail Westerfeld # 17each nailed 7 kills, and Macy had the team high 6 aces for the evening. Setting the pace for the offense to be effective was Kylie Laker #7 totaling 28 assits for the night. Batesville in 3 sets: 25-17, 25-18, 25-12.Back in Action tomorrow evening at the Dog Pound, hosting Madison with a 5:00 JV start.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Jody Thomas.
He also criticised the incessant fighting between members of the Nairobi County Assembly has become a nuisance noting that drastic measures need be taken to end the insanity at the county assembly.Get breaking news on your Mobile as-it-happens. SMS ‘NEWS’ to 20153 Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has ordered the immediate disarmament of staff at the Nairobi County Assembly just hours after violent altercations at the assembly left an MCA nursing injuries.He disclosed that so far 14 firearms have been confiscated by the government.Speaking during the launch a book documenting Kenya’s journey in police reforms authored by former inspector general of police Joseph Boinett, Matiang’i at the same time condemned violence meted on the public by police officers.Also Read President Kenyatta hails peace progress in S.Sudan This comes a day after the Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji directed Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) police to carry out thorough investigations into the matter and forward resultant file to his Office for appropriate direction.Mlango Kubwa MCA Patricia Mutheu was clobbered by police during chaos that erupted at City Hall that started when a section of MCAs attempted to serve Speaker Beatrice Elachi with an impeachment notice.Also Read PSC to challenge Maraga’s advice to dissolve Parliament over gender ruleOver 80 MCAs had signed the impeachment notice accusing speaker Elachi of among others abuse of office and divisive leadership.They also wanted to serve Elachi with a court order suspending the appointment of Edward Gichana as the clerk of the Assembly.Viral photos showed four police officers flogging the MCA. In what he termed as a candid conversation the CS disclosed that he will be presenting the matter before the National Security Advisory Committee to seek advice on how to deal with the manace once and for all.Also Read Uhuru extends curfew ahead of his address Tuesday next week According to Dr. Matiang’i the government cannot continue using a large contingency of Police officers to man the county assembly when other Nairobi residents need their services too.
Linda Lou Connall, 73, of Greensburg, passed away on Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at Aspen Place Health Campus. She was born on March 22, 1946 in Knoxville, TN, the daughter of William and Ruth (Pollard) McClain. She was a 1964 graduate of St. Paul High School. On August 1, 1965 she married Charlie Bill Connall. They spent 53 years together until he preceded her in death on July 5, 2019.Linda & Charlie Bill set up housekeeping in a cozy trailer on County Road 350 West. A short time later they moved to a farm house just a few miles up the road where they lived for 38 years. It was in that farmhouse on the hill that they raised their girls. The family enjoyed many vacations together, youth group functions at church and sporting events of the girls that Charlie Bill & Linda were always involved in. Linda loved spending time with her grandchildren and continued the tradition of family time and making memories with each of them. Family time was of utmost importance to Linda. She was a wonderful homemaker for her family and caregiver of all who walked through the door. For approximately 25 years, Linda operated a day care in their home where at least 40 different children were entrusted to her care over the years. Linda loved taking care of her “babies”. It is by Linda’s example that her daughters learned to love & care for not only their own families but those in need. Linda’s strong faith in God also laid the groundwork for their children/spouses and grandchildren to put their trust in God and His provisions. For several years, Linda and Charlie Bill ran their own “part time” business together, Country Cellar Ceramics. Their plans for retirement took a new direction when, in 2005, Linda was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease. Their love and commitment to each other never wavered. It was a true example of what a marriage partnership should look like. Having one true love to last a lifetime is rare for many. Finally, 14 years later, Linda is at peace again and resting in the arms of her Savior and enjoying that “retirement” with her Charlie Bill.Survivors include her daughters – Charity Ann (Doug) Banks, Sarah Louise (Rick) Eckert, and Rachel Colleen Adams (Bo Loggan); Her 6 grandchildren – Cody Banks, Christin Banks, Rebekah Netherton, Conner Eckert, Xavier Adams and Gabriella Adams; Her brother William C. McClain; as well as many nieces, nephews, and cousins. She was also preceded in death by her parents.A visitation for family and friends will be held at the Gilliland-Howe Funeral Home on Friday, August 9, 2019 from 4:00 pm until 8:00 pm. Funeral services will be on Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 11:00 am at the Star Baptist Church with Rev. Perry Cook officiating. Burial will follow at the Star Baptist Church Cemetery. Memorial contributions can be made to Our Hospice of South Central Indiana or to the Star Baptist Cemetery. Online condolences can be made to the family at www.gilliland-howe.com
Belfast-born Rice started his career in the Arsenal academy and went on to lead the side in the 1979 FA Cup final win over Manchester United, before the Northern Ireland defender moved into coaching after finishing his playing career at Watford. The 64-year-old stood down from his role as assistant manager to Arsene Wenger at the end of last season, a position he had held since the Frenchman arrived in 1996. A club statement read: “We can sadly confirm Pat Rice is in hospital receiving treatment for cancer. “Everyone at Arsenal Football Club sends him our best wishes. Our thoughts are with Pat and his family.” Arsenal have offered their support to former captain and assistant manager Pat Rice, who is undergoing treatment for cancer in hospital. Press Association