Jacksons targets sandwich market with £40m factory

first_imgYorkshire-based bakery Jacksons is investing £40m in a second factory to supply bread for sandwich manufacturers.The business, which says it already makes 70% of the bread used in UK prepared sandwiches, is part of the William Jackson Food Group that also owns Aunt Bessie’s, Abel & Cole, MyFresh and The Food Doctor.Jacksons already has planning permission for the facility, which will be built on a 10-acre site on the Willowbrook East Industrial Estate in Corby, which was purchased by the business in February this year.Describing the factory as a ‘state-of-the-art bakery’ that would initially create around 100 new jobs, Jacksons said it had been designed specifically to make bread for sandwich manufacturers. Work on the factory has already started and it is set to be fully operational by summer 2018.The business will continue to produce its branded bread – Jackson’s Yorkshire’s Champion – from its site in Hull, which opened in 1907. Sold in supermarkets, sales of the brand have grown in value every year since 2012 – bucking declines in the overall UK wrapped bread category.“The new bakery will help us grow as a business and allow us to build on the work we do in Hull,” said Jacksons MD Simon Ball.“We have a brilliant team working on the expansion project, and there’s a real buzz of excitement right across our business as we have the opportunity to create something really special, which will be at the forefront of bread-making in the UK.”William Jackson Food Group chief executive Norman Soutar added that the group and its family shareholders have invested significantly in the Hull bakery over recent years, and continue to invest in the Hull site.“We take a long-term approach to the individual businesses in the group, allowing them time to grow and develop and we’re very much looking forward to seeing how the next chapter of the bakery’s life unfolds,” he said.last_img read more

Prosecutors want tougher bans for Blatter, Platini

first_imgZURICH (AP): Already banished from soccer for eight years, former FIFA leaders Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini are again facing the threat of life bans. FIFA ethics prosecutors said yesterday they will appeal to increase the bans, arguing they are too lenient. “The investigatory chamber intends to appeal against the decision against Mr. Blatter and Mr. Platini at the appeal committee of FIFA,” the prosecution unit said in a statement. The counter-challenge revives the prospect of life bans, which both men revealed had been recommended by investigators before their ethics hearings last month. Blatter and Platini have said they will also appeal the eight-year sanctions handed down by four ethics judges who rejected charges of bribery and corruption. Instead, Blatter and Platini were banned for a range of lesser violations of the FIFA ethics code, including accepting or receiving gifts and conflicts of interest. They deny wrongdoing over Blatter approving a $2 million payment from FIFA to Platini in 2011 as backdated salary without a contract. Platini worked as a presidential adviser to Blatter from 1999-2002, but did not claim the money owed to him for more than eight years, when FIFA was no longer obliged by Swiss law to pay him. The case has ended Platini’s bid to succeed his former mentor as FIFA president in an election on February 26. Clearing his name Blatter wants to clear his name and host the election meeting in Zurich as a farewell to FIFA after more than 40 years. The FIFA appeals committee rarely cuts or annuls sanctions imposed by the governing body’s ethics or disciplinary panels. Blatter and Platini have said they expect their cases will fail at FIFA before they pursue further appeals at the Court of Arbitration for Sport. FIFA’s appeals committee has previously imposed a life ban after judge Joachim Eckert decided on an eight-year sanction. In 2013, then-FIFA executive committee member, Vernon Manilal Fernando, of Sri Lanka, was expelled for bribery after then-prosecutor Michael Garcia appealed. Manilal Fernando was judged to have bribed Asian officials to vote for Mohamed bin Hammam of Qatar in a 2009 election for a FIFA executive committee seat. The loser in that bitterly fought contest, Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim al Khalifa of Bahrain, is now a candidate for the FIFA presidency. CAS later upheld Manilal Fernando’s life ban.last_img read more

Humboldt State football overcomes injuries, claims 31-27 win at Chadron State

first_imgFor the third time in as many games this season, an opponent’s stadium proved to be a home away from home for the Humboldt State football team.And that’s even with some of their most important players out injured.Despite playing without the likes of Ja’Quan Gardner and Chase Krivashei, Humboldt State’s 1,400-mile trek to Nebraska was a successful one, as the injury-riddled Jacks outlasted Chadron State College in 31-27 win on Saturday afternoon.“We were playing with guys today that a week …last_img

Years after the fact, Stephen Curry trade rumor takes a curtain call

first_imgHistory is written by the winners — and not always fact-checked.For instance:In March 2012, the Warriors traded guard Monta Ellis to the Milwaukee Bucks for center Andrew Bogut. The narrative arising from that transaction goes a little something like this: It was a brilliant gambit, the first of several ingenious moves that catapulted the Warriors to a series of NBA titles.The Warriors finished 20 games under .500 in 2011-12. But the following season, with Bogut at center and Stephen Curry …last_img